Fessler & Bowman, Inc. is a growth-focused concrete and excavation contractor based in Flushing, Michigan. With a 50+ year history of quality, safety, and profitability, the Company has relied on its strong leadership team and core principals.
The position involves a variety of tasks, including welding, building forms and forming systems for concrete, operating basic hand tools and small powered equipment, and everything else that a carpenter does in the heavy civil field. The job is physical and messy (which you already know if you are applying for this position!) and provides the reward of actually building something and seeing the progress throughout the project.
While the Company has built a backlog of work in its core regions, employees that are willing to travel to project sites have the best opportunity of staying busy year round and earning the most money. The Company pays a solid per diem for all travel in excess of 120 miles from the home office location. Additionally, there are opportunities to work into a lead Foreman role, which provides additional pay and benefits.
Desired Experience, Skills, and Abilities
Compensation, Benefits, and Structure
- Previous knowledge of civil construction, concrete works and steel fixing are essential along with a solid understanding of form work carpentry.
- Position and secure steel bars or mesh in concrete forms in order to reinforce concrete. Use a variety of fasteners, rod-bending machines, blowtorches, and hand tools. Includes rod busters.
- Ability to read blueprints and be proficient in measuring and cutting
- Willingness to learn and follow all safety policies and requirements
- Ability to work hard all day, in good and bad weather, and occasionally deal with stressful situations
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds repeatedly throughout the day
- This position requires climbing, kneeling, bending, and crawling often as well as the ability to work on ladders, platforms, and mechanical lifts
- Ability to understand English
- Valid Drivers License
This position is full-time, with a strong likelihood for year-round work if willing to travel. The Company pays top hourly rates, provides a benefits package (employer paid!). Additionally, Fessler & Bowman is focused on safety and quality and has built a good Company culture around the team that supports this commitment.
The Recruitment Process
The recruitment process will include a phone screen, in-person meeting, and a pre-employment background check and drug test.
Fessler & Bowman is an Equal Opportunity Employer!