Director of Operations
Title: Director of Operations Reports to: Vice President
EEO Classification: First/Mid Offs & Mgrs. ADAAA Classification: Medium Duty
Fessler and Bowman’s Director of Operations facilitates the successful completion of concrete and heavy civil construction projects by providing leadership to the Company’s operations team. The Director of Operations is responsible for guiding and directing teams in workforce management, efficient utilization of equipment, and in developing innovative ways to accomplish work efficiently and safely.
The Director of Operations performs a variety of duties, including, but not limited to:
- Manage Company operations, including overall resource planning, scheduling, budgeting, operations staffing and training, and job costing functions.
- Communicate key objectives and targets to the entire Company, including project managers, estimators, site superintendents and crews. Improve communication channels to employees, customers, and vendors.
- Mentor and coach project managers, estimators, superintendents and key employees to continually build the knowledge, skills and abilities of the team.
- Envision, create, and implement processes and procedures for the operations team, helping support consistency, accuracy, efficiency and overall profitability.
- Take an active role in Risk Management, helping solve both current and potential problems, foreseeing issues, etc.
- Work with the Estimating team to review upcoming projects and plan the proper resources for the project teams.
- Manage and enhance the customer relationship, from a higher level technical perspective, to support long-term, mutually beneficial relationships for the Company.
- Supervise the coordination and utilization of the Company workforce to assemble project teams, ensure jobsite needs are met and ensure the Company has the necessary equipment and materials while maintaining cost-effectiveness.
- Provide executive level reports to management team on a regular basis.
- Participate in project Go/No Go discussions and decisions.
- Partner with Corporate Safety Department in ensuring safe work practices, compliance with all Federal and State safety rules, and managing safety risk at all levels.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to identify and forecast workforce needs to recruit and hire qualified employees.
- Communicate and uphold the Company’s commitment to core values, Integrity and Code of Ethics, as well as ensure the same for the entire team.
- All Other Duties as Assigned.
Qualifications & Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Construction Management, or equivalent experience
- At least 10 years of Operations Management experience in concrete/heavy civil construction projects
- This can be a mixture of field operations and project management operations
- Creative and results-oriented with a strong sense of urgency and self-motivation
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with an adaptable and flexible management style
Work Environment & Physical Requirements
- Works in the field and office setting on a regular basis
- Requires ability to sit or stand for an extended period of time
- Field work may include adverse weather, loud working conditions, and high levels of activity
Classification & Compensation
- The position is full-time, salaried and exempt from FLSA overtime requirements
- The salary range varies, depending on experience, skills, abilities, and length of service with the Company
- This position is eligible for the Company’s discretionary profit sharing program
Measurements of Success
- Minimization of Risk and possible project losses
- Development of staff